Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SW.

SC 800106

Description View from SW.

Date c. 1900

Collection National Art Survey of Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 800106

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RE 677

Scope and Content Newark Castle, Inverclyde, from south-west This view from the south-west, taken in about 1900, shows the late 15th-century gatehouse on the left, with the roofline of a courtyard building visible on its gable. The rest of the buildings seen here are the 1597-9 extension, with ground-floor kitchen and cellars, hall above and bedrooms on the top floor. The 1597-9 range has a symmetrical north front. The first-floor hall is reached from the courtyard by a 'scale and platt' staircase, one of the earliest examples of this type of (straight flight and landing) staircase in Scotland. Newark Castle was originally a tower-house built soon after 1478 by George Maxwell, son of John Maxwell of Calderwood in Lanarkshire. It was greatly extended in 1597-9 by Patrick Maxwell. One of his descendants sold the site of Port Glasgow to the Town Council of Glasgow in 1668. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800106

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 162) National Art Survey of Scotland

> Item Level (SC 800106) View from SW.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (National Art Survey of Scotland Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions