Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of window.

SC 800103

Description View of window.

Date c. 1900

Collection National Art Survey of Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 800103

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RE 667

Scope and Content Newark Castle, Inverclyde, from west This view from the west, taken in 1872, shows the north-east angle of the former courtyard, with the north range on the left and the east link block to the 15th-century tower to the right, both built in 1597-9. The head of the doorway is at the bottom, with an armorial and an inscribed panel, framed in an architrave, above. The doorway gives access to a fine 'scale and platt' staircase leading up to the hall on the first floor in the north range, one of the earliest of that type of (straight flight and landing) stair in Scotland. The ground floor of the link block also contains a bakehouse. The doorhead bears the inscription 'The blissingis of God be herin'. Newark Castle was originally a tower-house built soon after 1478 by George Maxwell, son of John Maxwell of Calderwood in Lanarkshire. It was greatly extended in 1597-9 by Patrick Maxwell. One of his descendants sold the site of Port Glasgow to the Town Council of Glasgow in 1668. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 162) National Art Survey of Scotland

> Item Level (SC 800103) View of window.

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (National Art Survey of Scotland Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions