Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

6630/1 Digital image of BU 611.

SC 800095

Description 6630/1 Digital image of BU 611.

Date 1973

Catalogue Number SC 800095

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BU 611

Scope and Content Aerial view of Rothesay Castle, Bute, Argyll & Bute This aerial view from the north-west, taken in 1973, shows the castle surrounded by its moat, with the circular curtain wall and the north-west, or 'Pigeon' tower next to the forework. In the courtyard is the roofless chapel. The projection from the side of the forework is a latrine tower, discharging into the moat. Rothesay was taken by Cromwellian forces in the Civil War, who are said to have dismantled it. What was left was burned in 1685. Successive Marquesses of Bute, hereditary keepers, cleared up the ruins and rebuilt the forework in the 19th and early 20th century, and gave it into State care in 1961. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland and is open to the public. Rothesay Castle was in existence in 1230, when it is recorded as having been taken by Norsemen, who hacked through the wall with axes. It was originally contained within an unbroken circular curtain wall. Later in the 13th century four circular towers were added, and in the 16th century a forework was built. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800095

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions