Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from roof of Town House to South.

SC 800094

Description View from roof of Town House to South.

Date 20/6/1995

Catalogue Number SC 800094

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 48413 CN

Scope and Content Rothesay Castle, Bute, Argyll & Bute, from east This view from the east, taken in 1995, shows the circular curtain wall, with bases of the south-east (left) and north-east towers. On the right is the east wall of the forework, as restored in 1900 by the 3rd Marquess of Bute, with a copper roof. To the left of the forework is the 'Pigeon Tower', so-called because it was converted into a dovecot. Rothesay was taken by Cromwellian forces in the Civil War, who are said to have dismantled it. What was left was burned in 1685. Successive Marquesses of Bute, hereditary keepers, cleared up the ruins and rebuilt the forework in the 19th and early 20th century, and gave it into State care in 1961. Now in the care of Historic Scotland, it is open to the public. Rothesay Castle was in existence in 1230, when it is recorded as having been taken by Norsemen, who hacked through the wall with axes. It was originally contained within an unbroken circular curtain wall. Later in the 13th century four circular towers were added, and in the 16th century a forework was built. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800094

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions