Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Warden's Tower, viewed from South. Digital image of D 59246 CN

SC 800040

Description The Warden's Tower, viewed from South. Digital image of D 59246 CN

Date 7/1999

Catalogue Number SC 800040

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 59246 CN

Scope and Content Kildrummy Castle, Aberdeenshire, from south-south-east This view from the south-south-east, taken in 1999, shows the interior of the upper part of the Warden's Tower, at the north corner of the castle. It was the lesser of the two residential towers added to the original courtyard castle in the late 13th century. The embrasures are for archers using longbows. This castle was besieged on many occasions. It was taken by English forces in 1306, subsequently restored, burnt in 1530, captured by Cromwell in 1654, and was the headquarters of the Earl of Mar during the 1715 Jacobite rising. It was then dismantled. Kildrummy Castle was evidently constructed in the early 13th century as a polygonal castle of enclosure, for Alexander II. A chapel was added in the mid-13th century, and in about 1300 angle-towers and a gatehouse were added. In the 16th century a tower-house was added at the west end of the hall. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Colour negative

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800040

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions