Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Elphinstone Tower, viewed from South-East. Digital image of D 59249 CN

SC 800038

Description The Elphinstone Tower, viewed from South-East. Digital image of D 59249 CN

Date 7/1999

Catalogue Number SC 800038

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 59249 CN

Scope and Content Kildrummy Castle, Aberdeenshire, from east-south-east This view from the east-south-east, taken in 1999, shows the remains of the 16th-century Elphinstone Tower, with, on the right, the south-west end of the 13th-century hall. The wall to the right was the gable of the hall, and was used as the side wall of the tower. This castle was besieged on many occasions. It was taken by English forces in 1306, subsequently restored, burnt in 1530, captured by Cromwell in 1654, and was the headquarters of the Earl of Mar during the 1715 Jacobite rising. It was then dismantled. Kildrummy Castle was evidently constructed in the early 13th century as a polygonal castle of enclosure, for Alexander II. A chapel was added in the mid-13th century, and in about 1300 angle-towers and a gatehouse were added. In the 16th century a tower-house was added at the west end of the hall. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Colour negative

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800038

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions