Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View towards North-East corner of castle from gatehouse. Digital image of D 59255 CN

SC 800035

Description View towards North-East corner of castle from gatehouse. Digital image of D 59255 CN

Date 7/1999

Catalogue Number SC 800035

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 59255 CN

Scope and Content Kildrummy Castle, Aberdeenshire, from south-south-west This view from the south-south-west, taken in 1999, shows the north corner of the courtyard from the south-west side of the gatehouse. On the left is the gable of the Elphinstone Tower, and on the right are the remains of the mid-13th-century chapel, and of the late 13th-century Warden's Tower. The hall remains are in the centre. This castle was besieged on many occasions. It was taken by English forces in 1306, subsequently restored, burnt in 1530, captured by Cromwell in 1654, and was the headquarters of the Earl of Mar during the 1715 Jacobite rising. It was then dismantled. Kildrummy Castle was evidently constructed in the early 13th century as a polygonal castle of enclosure, for Alexander II. A chapel was added in the mid-13th century, and in about 1300 angle-towers and a gatehouse were added. In the 16th century a tower-house was added at the west end of the hall. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Colour negative

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800035

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions