Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View towards North-East corner of castle from South-West tower. Digital image of D 59258.

SC 800033

Description View towards North-East corner of castle from South-West tower. Digital image of D 59258.

Date 7/1999

Catalogue Number SC 800033

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 59258 CN

Scope and Content Kildrummy Castle, Aberdeenshire, from south-east This view from the south-east, taken in 1999, shows the north-west angle of the courtyard, with the remains of the 13th-century hall and of the 16th-century Elphinstone Tower to the left, and the late 13th-century Warden's Tower and the mid-13th-century chapel to the right. This castle was besieged on many occasions. It was taken by English forces in 1306, subsequently restored, burnt in 1530, captured by Cromwell in 1654, and was the headquarters of the Earl of Mar during the 1715 Jacobite rising. It was then dismantled. Kildrummy Castle was evidently constructed in the early 13th century as a polygonal castle of enclosure, for Alexander II. A chapel was added in the mid-13th century, and in about 1300 angle-towers and a gatehouse were added. In the 16th century a tower-house was added at the west end of the hall. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Colour negative

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800033

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions