Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East range, general view from south east Digital image of D 62842

SC 800007

Description East range, general view from south east Digital image of D 62842

Date 4/4/2000

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 800007

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 62842 CN

Scope and Content Linlithgow Palace, Linlithgow, West Lothian, from south-east This view from the south-east, taken in 2000, shows the east range, built by James III. The original entrance to the castle is in the centre. On the floor above is the great hall, with the large window on the left lighting the high table. On the right are buttresses supporting the kitchen wall, built to resemble a barbican (gatehouse extension). The Union of the Crowns in 1603 meant that the palace ceased to be a regular royal residence. It was kept in reasonable repair, but was set on fire by Government troops withdrawing after Culloden in 1746, and was never repaired. The ruins have been kept in good order since the early 19th century. Now in the care of Historic Scotland, it is open to the public. Linlithgow Palace occupies the site of a wooden castle of the late 13th century, but the oldest part of the present complex was not built until about 1400. The palace had taken its present form by the mid-16th century, but the north range collapsed in the early 17th century, and was rebuilt in 1618-33. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions