Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of west elevation of castle. Digital image of C 67757 CN

SC 799957

Description View of west elevation of castle. Digital image of C 67757 CN

Date 15/8/1996

Catalogue Number SC 799957

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 67757 CN

Scope and Content Hermitage Castle, Scottish Borders, from west-south-west This view from the west-south-west, taken in 1996, shows the north-west tower on the left, part of the late 14th-century works, and the larger south-west tower on the right, with the arch carrying a continuous wall-walk. Note the large gun loops on either side of the arch, added in the 16th century. The mid-14th-century castle was probably built by the Dacre family. Hermitage was owned in 1566 by James, Earl of Bothwell, and in that year Mary, Queen of Scots visited him there when he was ill. It was extensively restored in the 19th century, before it was given into State care. It is now open to the public and is in the care of Historic Scotland. There was a castle on this site in the mid-13th century, but nothing of it now survives. A hall or tower was built in the mid-14th century and was rebuilt in the late 14th century. Rectangular towers were subsequently added on three of the corners, and later a large tower was built on to the south-west corner, replacing a short wing of the tower. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/799957

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions