Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view.

SC 799941

Description Oblique aerial view.

Date 1971

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 799941

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of PT 9226 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Huntingtower Castle, Castle Brae, Ruthvenfield, Perth & Kinross This aerial view from the south-east, taken in 1971, shows the layout of the building, which consists of two separate towers, linked by a narrow 17th-century range. The older tower is in the foreground, and dates from the 15th century. It was remodelled in about 1500, when the second tower was built to the west. The first-floor hall in the eastern tower has a painted ceiling installed in about 1540, probably the oldest Renaissance decoration of this type in Scotland. The castle was used in the 18th century as a dower house by the Dukes of Atholl, and then divided into apartments for calico printers. It was given into State care in 1912, and it is now open to the public by Historic Scotland. Huntingtower Castle was known as the House or Place of Ruthven until 1600, when the estate was forfeited to the Crown after the death of the then owner, the 3rd Earl of Gowrie and his brother in an unsuccessful attempt on the life of James VI. The name of the lands and castle was then changed to 'Huntingtour'. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 6162/CN8

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/799941

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions