Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial photograph showing Clachnaharry Lock and Lock Keeper's House Digital image of A 36844.

SC 799647

Description Aerial photograph showing Clachnaharry Lock and Lock Keeper's House Digital image of A 36844.

Date 1985

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 799647

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 36844

Scope and Content Aerial view, Clachnaharry Sea Lock, Caledonian Canal, Inverness, Highland, from west-north-west This aerial view from the west-north-west shows Clachnaharry Sea Lock Basin with the sea lock (foreground) which was built between 1810 and 1811. Two protective breakwaters which can also be used for mooring boats waiting to enter the basin extend from the tip of the embankments. The two-storeyed building beside this lock is the lock-keeper's cottage. In the background there is a swing bridge, built for the Highland Railway, and a lock which is at the entrance to Muirtown Basin. The northern end of the Caledonian Canal is at Inverness, but unfortunately the soft mud on the shores around this point meant that it would be very difficult to construct a sea lock for access to the canal. The best way for the canal to reach the deep water of the Beauly Firth, about 365m away from the shore, was to construct two large parallel embankments with bases built from quarry waste. The basin could then be formed in the space between. The Caledonian Canal was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and built between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of £840,000. It was the first example of a transport network funded by the government in Great Britain. The 96.5km-long canal provides a route for boats travelling between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean as it runs from the Beauly Firth at Clachnaharry, Inverness, to Loch Linnhe at Corpach. Only 35.4km of this length is man-made while the other 61km runs through four lochs: Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. Unfortunately at 4.2m deep the canal was too small for most sea-going ships which led to it being altered and deepened between 1844 and 1847. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/799647

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 177) RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Sub-Group Level (551 177/11) 1986 Photographs

>> Item Level (SC 799647) Aerial photograph showing Clachnaharry Lock and Lock Keeper's House Digital image of A 36844.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions