Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elcho Castle. General view from South-West. Digital image of PT 2188

SC 798682

Description Elcho Castle. General view from South-West. Digital image of PT 2188

Date 21/5/1939

Collection Ian G Lindsay

Catalogue Number SC 798682

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of PT 2188

Scope and Content Elcho Castle, Perth & Kinross, from west-south-west This view from the west-south-west, taken in 1939, shows the west front of the castle. The tower on the right contains a wide circular stair giving access to the upper floors. The recessed section is the end of the main range, with the kitchen and cellars on the ground floor, and the hall above. Elcho Castle is one of a generation of houses designed for comfortable living, but capable of defence against intruders armed with hand-guns. It was given into State care in 1929 by the 11th Earl of Wemyss and March, and has since been consolidated. Now in the care of Historic Scotland, it is open to the public. Elcho Castle appears to have been built in the late 16th century, either for Sir John Wemyss of Wemyss or his son David. It is comparable in plan with a number of other houses of the period, but is more ornamented than many. It is remarkably intact, roofed, and with its original window grilles. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798682

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions