Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view of fort Digital image of A 28615 CN

SC 798658

Description Aerial view of fort Digital image of A 28615 CN

Date 1986

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 798658

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 28615 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Fort George, Highland This view from the south-west, taken in 1986, shows the fort from the seaward side, with the barrack blocks as refurbished in the 1960s as an army depot. In the foreground is the Point Battery, flanked by the Duke of Marlborough's (left) and Prince Frederick William's demi-bastions. Fort George is the finest 18th-century artillery fort in Britain. A programme of work to conserve historic fabric was begun in 1964. The nonmilitary parts of the complex, including the Grand Magazine and recreated barrack rooms, are open to the public, with interpretative displays. Fort George was built between 1747 and 1768 as a base to secure control of the Highlands and from which the British army could resist any attack from invading French forces. It was designed to take advantage of the latest theories of artillery fortification, by William Skinner, then newly appointed engineer for North Britain of the Board of Ordnance. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798658

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions