Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view.

SC 798656

Description Oblique aerial view.

Date 1986

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 798656

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 28612 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Fort George, Highland This view from the north-west, taken in 1986 shows the fort from the landward side, the grassy area at the bottom is the glacis, providing a clear field of fire for the batteries on the central ravelin and the flanking bastions. Other bastions and demi-bastions protect the seaward sides of the fort. Fort George is the finest 18th-century artillery fort in Britain. Its buildings were internally updated in the 1960s and early 1970s as a modern army base, and a programme of work to conserve historic fabric was begun. The nonmilitary parts of the complex are open to the public, with interpretative displays. Fort George was built between 1747 and 1768 as a base to secure control of the Highlands and from which the British army could resist any attack from invading French forces. It was designed to take advantage of the latest theories of artillery fortification, by William Skinner, then newly appointed engineer for North Britain of the Board of Ordnance. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798656

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions