Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Doune Castle. Inside courtyard from South. Digital image of A 7142 CN

SC 798573

Description Doune Castle. Inside courtyard from South. Digital image of A 7142 CN

Date 1985

Catalogue Number SC 798573

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 7142 CN

Scope and Content Courtyard, Doune Castle, Stirling, from south This view from the south, taken in 1985, shows part of the north side of the courtyard, with the keep-gatehouse on the right, containing the lord's accommodation above the entrance and guardrooms. To the left is the hall, with part of the kitchen tower on the far left. On the right is part of the east flank of the curtain wall. The castle was for many years the property of the Earls of Moray. The main ranges were partly restored in 1883 to designs by Andrew Kerr. It was given into the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland in the late 1980s, since when a programme of consolidation has been carried out by Historic Scotland, who now open it to the public. Doune Castle was built after 1401 for Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany. It is a courtyard castle, of a type made obsolete by the development of heavy artillery. The duke's accommodation was in the gate-tower, and to the west were a hall and a kitchen block. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798573

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions