Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some of our data services may be unavailable for a short period of time on Tuesday the 27th of March. This is due to essential maintenance.

View of courtyard and NE tower from S.

A 7142 CN

Description View of courtyard and NE tower from S.

Date 1985

Catalogue Number A 7142 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 798573

Scope and Content Courtyard, Doune Castle, Stirling, from south This view from the south, taken in 1985, shows part of the north side of the courtyard, with the keep-gatehouse on the right, containing the lord's accommodation above the entrance and guardrooms. To the left is the hall, with part of the kitchen tower on the far left. On the right is part of the east flank of the curtain wall. The castle was for many years the property of the Earls of Moray. The main ranges were partly restored in 1883 to designs by Andrew Kerr. It was given into the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland in the late 1980s, since when a programme of consolidation has been carried out by Historic Scotland, who now open it to the public. Doune Castle was built after 1401 for Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany. It is a courtyard castle, of a type made obsolete by the development of heavy artillery. The duke's accommodation was in the gate-tower, and to the west were a hall and a kitchen block. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Colour negative


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions