Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dirleton Castle. Ground floor and basement plans. Digital image of ELD 34/16

SC 798565

Description Dirleton Castle. Ground floor and basement plans. Digital image of ELD 34/16

Date 1919

Catalogue Number SC 798565

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ELD 34/16 P

Scope and Content Photographic copy of plans of Dirleton Castle, East Lothian These plans, drawn by C S T Calder in 1919, show the layout of the castle, with the 13th-century round towers at the angles. The largest of these towers, on the left, is the 'donjon', which contained the lord's accommodation, two levels of which survive. Note the details of the pit prison on the right. Dirleton Castle was besieged in 1650 by General Monk's army, and taken after artillery bombardment. It was superseded as a residence in 1663, by Archerfield House, and fell into ruin. It was consolidated after it was taken into State care (now Historic Scotland) in the 1920s, and is open to the public. Dirleton Castle occupies the site of a timber castle built in the late 12th century by the 1st baron de Vaux. It was rebuilt in stone in the later 13th century. The east range of this castle was much enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries by the Halyburton family, and minor additions made in the 16th century by the Ruthvens. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798565

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions