Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dirleton Castle Digital image of B 40017

SC 798563

Description Dirleton Castle Digital image of B 40017

Date c. 1950

Catalogue Number SC 798563

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 40017

Scope and Content Dirleton Castle, East Lothian, from east This view, taken from the east in about 1950, shows part of the entrance front of the castle, with the cylindrical 'donjon' on the left, containing the lord's accommodation. The curtain wall to the right is, like the donjon, 13th-century work, but the buttresses flanking the entrance were added in the 15th century. Dirleton Castle was besieged in 1650 by General Monk's army, and taken after artillery bombardment. It was superseded as a residence in 1663, by Archerfield House, and fell into ruin. It was consolidated after it was taken into State care (now Historic Scotland) in the 1920s, and is open to the public. Dirleton Castle occupies the site of a timber castle built in the late 12th century by the 1st baron de Vaux. It was rebuilt in stone in the later 13th century. The east range of this castle was much enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries by the Halyburton family, and minor additions made in the 16th century by the Ruthvens. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798563

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions