Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of South transept and Sacristy. Digital image of G 90050 PO

SC 798311

Description View of South transept and Sacristy. Digital image of G 90050 PO

Date c. 1890

Catalogue Number SC 798311

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of G 90050 PO

Scope and Content South transept and sacristy, Arbroath Abbey, Angus This view from the south-south-east, probably taken in the 1860s, shows the gables of the south transept (left) and of the sacristy, with part of the gable of the east end of the choir on the right. The sacristy was added to the south side of the choir in the first half of the 15th century by Abbot Paniter. Arbroath Abbey is particularly famous as the place where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. This was the case made to the Pope by the barons and other leaders of Scottish society as to why the Scots should be free from English domination. Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion. It was staffed by monks of the Tironensian Order from Kelso Abbey, the first Scots abbey of this order, which originated in 1109 at Tiron, near Chartres, in France. The surviving ruined church dates largely from the late 12th and early 13th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798311

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions