Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view.

SC 798220

Description Oblique aerial view.

Date 1994

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 798220

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 26645

Scope and Content Aerial view of Balvenie Castle, Moray This aerial view taken in 1994 shows Balvenie Castle in the centre, with Glenfiddich Distillery immediately above it. In the top right-hand corner is Convalmore Distillery, and below it Balvenie Distillery. In the bottom right-hand corner is Dufftown Viaduct. The mid-16th-century range was a sophisticated mansion, rather than a defensive structure. It remained in use until 1724, but was then unroofed, and fell into decay. It was taken into State care in 1929, and the ruins have since been consolidated. Balvenie Castle is strategically situated where Glen Rinnes meets Glen Fiddich, and apparently had its origins in a courtyard castle of the late 13th century, with three corner towers, the whole protected by a stone-lined ditch. The north half of the east range was rebuilt in the mid-16th century by the 4th Earl of Atholl. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798220

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions