Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of island of Berneray, showing Barra Head Lighthouse, photographed 28 July 1993 Digital image of C 19679 CN

SC 797132

Description General view of island of Berneray, showing Barra Head Lighthouse, photographed 28 July 1993 Digital image of C 19679 CN

Date 1993

Catalogue Number SC 797132

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 19679 CN

Scope and Content Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray, Western Isles Barra Head Lighthouse, which dates to 1833, is situated on the highest point on Berneray, near the end of a promontory known as Sron an Duin. The cliffs are over 182m high. In the lighthouse grounds there are the remains of a galleried dun, or fort. In 1980 Barra Head Lighthouse became an automatic (unmanned) light. The keepers were no longer required, as the light and fog signals were operated by remote control from the Northern Lighthouse Board's headquarters in Edinburgh. Barra Head Lighthouse flashes with a white light every 15 seconds, and the light is visible for 33.8km. Berneray, on which the Barra Head Lighthouse is situated, is the most southerly of several small islands to the south of the island of Barra. The islands are often known as the Bishop's Isles, as in medieval times they belonged to the Bishop of Man and Sodor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/797132

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions