Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray from W.

SC 797127

Description View of Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray from W.

Date 18/7/1993

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 797127

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 19647 CN

Scope and Content Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray, Western Isles, from west Barra Head Lighthouse, designed by Robert Stevenson (1772-1850) and opened in 1833, and is a white conical tower 18m in height. Built of stone, it has a corbelled walkway around the outside of the lantern. In the background the keepers' houses can be seen. They are separated from the lighthouse tower by a courtyard. To the right of the lighthouse there is another single-storeyed building. Around the tower there is a single-storeyed semicircular building with two entrance doors. Berneray, on which the Barra Head Lighthouse is situated, is the most southerly of several small islands to the south of the island of Barra. The islands are often known as the Bishop's Isles, as in medieval times they belonged to the Bishop of Man and Sodor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/797127

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 1) RCAHMS

> Item Level (SC 797127) View of Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray from W.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions