Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SE Digital image of RC 1318

SC 793823

Description View from SE Digital image of RC 1318

Date 1975

Catalogue Number SC 793823

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 1318

Scope and Content St Moluag's Church, Teampull Mholuaidh, Eoropie, Lewis, Western Isles, from south-east Teampull Mholuaidh, or St Moluag's Church, may date originally to the 13th century, but it was restored and re-roofed in 1912 by James S Richardson (1883-1970). It is built of rubble on a T-shaped plan, with a chapel and a sacristy (where the priest's vestments, and sacred vessels are stored) at the east end. There is a round-arched window in the gable and two square windows above the chapel roof. There is also a round-arched door towards the left end of the south wall. St Moluag (Mulvay), who died in 722AD, is one of the two men thought to have introduced Christianity to Lewis, the other being St Ronan. St Moluag was thought to be the healer of wounds, and as late as 1630 people were sending wooden replicas of injured limbs to be placed on the altar of this church. Lewis and Harris are both parts of the same island, collectively known as 'the Long Island', which is the most northerly in the Outer Hebrides. Together they are about 95km in length and around 32km at the widest point. Most of Lewis is quite low-lying, whereas Harris is mountainous. Eoropie is situated at the north of Lewis. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions