Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

View of tower from East NE.

O 167

Description View of tower from East NE.

Date c. 1965

Catalogue Number O 167

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 793779

Scope and Content Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, from east-north-east The tower, at the north-west corner of the palace, was added around 1550 by Bishop Robert Reid. The tower, known as the 'Moosie Tooer', is built from flagstone rubble and has many embrasures, or openings, for weapons at all levels. At the top of the tower there is a double row of corbels, above which there is a parapet, or protecting wall. Inside the parapet is a rectangular room, or cap-house. The space between the cap-house and the parapet would originally have been roofed, which is very unusual. The Bishop's Palace is the oldest surviving example of domestic architecture in Kirkwall. It was begun in the 12th century, but was in ruins by 1320. It was reconstructed between 1541 and 1558. Alterations were made in 1600, but after 1614 it is likely the building was left to become a ruin. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions