Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from South-West Digital image of B/55500/cn

SC 792971

Description View from South-West Digital image of B/55500/cn

Date 8/1991

Catalogue Number SC 792971

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 55500 CN

Scope and Content Wyndford Lock, Forth & Clyde Canal, North Lanarkshire, from south-south-west This shows the lock (centre) with a bothy (right), lock-keeper's cottage (left) and a bridge in the background. The lock and the cottage were built around 1770 but the bridge was a c.1970 replacement for a bascule bridge (drawbridge). The white-painted and brick-built bothy has a piended (hipped) roof and it was probably a base for the lock-keeper who would operate the lock gates and the bascule bridge. In the 1990s the cottage and the lock gates were restored, the bridge removed and a new bridge built at the east end of the locks. There are 39 locks on the Forth & Clyde Canal and each one is almost 21m long and 6m wide with an average water rise of 2.4m. Initially this lock was the terminus for pleasure steamers that ferried people on day trips along the canal. The terminus was subsequently moved about 4km to the west to Craigmarloch. The Forth & Clyde Canal was built between 1768 and 1790. It could have been completed sooner but funds ran out in 1777 and more money was not found by the government until 1784. John Smeaton (1724-92) was the designer and first chief engineer for the project. He was replaced in 1777 by Robert Mackell (d.1779), and in 1785 Robert Whitworth (1734-99) took over the building of the final section of the canal from Glasgow. When the canal was completed in 1790 it ran from the River Forth at Grangemouth, in the east, to Bowling on the River Clyde in the west of Scotland. The canal was linked to Edinburgh when the Union Canal was opened in 1822. The Forth & Clyde Canal was closed in 1963 and the Union Canal in 1965 and the construction of new roads meant that it was impossible for boats to travel along the full length of these watercourses. However, the £84.5m Millennium Link project enabled the canals to reopen in 2002. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/792971

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions