Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Lock gates and cottages, view from south Digital image of E/6495/cn

SC 790837

Description Lock gates and cottages, view from south Digital image of E/6495/cn

Date 18/9/2001

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 790837

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of E 6495 CN

Scope and Content Bowling Lock-keepers' Cottages, Forth & Clyde Canal, West Dunbartonshire, from south-south-west This shows the lock-keepers' cottages, built around 1896, beside the lock (foreground) which leads into the upper basin. These purpose-built flats were designed in the style of a large Arts and Crafts villa. The harled and white-painted building has several piended (hipped) roofs which have deep eaves and are topped by terracotta ridge tiles. The small square window at first-floor level allows more light into an attic. Lock-keepers' cottages were located beside many of the locks on the canal and were occupied by the canal worker and his family who opened and closed the lock. These buildings were usually designed in a functional style although some were more decorative or followed a particular architectural style. The Forth & Clyde Canal was built between 1768 and 1790. It could have been completed sooner but funds ran out in 1777 and more money was not found by the government until 1784. John Smeaton (1724-92) was the designer and first chief engineer for the project. He was replaced in 1777 by Robert Mackell (d.1779), and in 1785 Robert Whitworth (1734-99) took over the building of the final section of the canal from Glasgow. When the canal was completed in 1790 it ran from the River Forth at Grangemouth, in the east, to Bowling on the River Clyde in the west of Scotland. The canal was linked to Edinburgh when the Union Canal was opened in 1822. The Forth & Clyde Canal was closed in 1963 and the Union Canal in 1965 and the construction of new roads meant that it was impossible for boats to travel along the full length of these watercourses. However, the £84.5m Millennium Link project enabled the canals to reopen in 2002. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/790837

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions