Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elevated view of Arnish Point Lighthouse tower and store from WSW with Isle of Lewis ferry in background.

SC 786355

Description Elevated view of Arnish Point Lighthouse tower and store from WSW with Isle of Lewis ferry in background.

Date 5/6/1997

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 786355

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 11483 CN

Scope and Content Tower and store from west-south-west, Arnish Point Lighthouse, Lewis, Western Isles This shows the iron tower with its pedimented doorcase, parapet (to allow the keepers to clean the glass to ensure the light could always be seen clearly) and domed lantern. The small building in front of the tower is a store. In the background can be seen the Isle of Lewis ferry. The keepers at Arnish Point lived in a separate accommodation block a short walk from the tower, the interior of which contains only a staircase and store. The first keeper, Alexander Campbell (1794-1867) arrived at Arnish Point in 1852. Most lighthouses had three keepers, who would live with their families in housing provided by the Northern Lighthouse Board. Arnish Point Lighthouse (also called Stornoway Lighthouse) was built from a series of iron plates to designs by engineer Alan Stevenson (1807-65) in 1853, and was the Northern Lighthouse Board's first pre-fabricated lighthouse. The whitewashed tower on a rocky promontory at the entrance to Stornoway Bay, has a domed lantern with latticed glazing and a distinctive Neo-Egyptian doorcase, and stands close to a range of single-storeyed keepers' houses. The lighthouse was automated in 1963, and the cottages developed as self-catering accommodation. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/786355

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 1) RCAHMS

Group Level (551 1/4) National Survey Programmes

>> Sub-Group Level (551 1/4/9) Industrial Survey Programme

>>> Sub-Group Level (551 1/4/9/299) Arnish Point Lighthouse, Lewis

>>>> Item Level (SC 786355) Elevated view of Arnish Point Lighthouse tower and store from WSW with Isle of Lewis ferry in background.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions