Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of hospital block from E Digital image of E 3901 cn

SC 776777

Description View of hospital block from E Digital image of E 3901 cn

Date 8/11/2001

Catalogue Number SC 776777

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Hospital Block, Sunnyside Royal Hospital, Hillside, Montrose, Angus, from the east This symmetrical hospital block, designed in a Dutch Renaissance style, stands in a splendid open setting. It is made up of four pavilions, each consisting of a two-storeyed ward block, linked by covered corridors. The two central units have elaborate Dutch gables, with curved and stepped sides topped by carved pediments. Dormer windows, surmounted by similarly carved pediments, adorn the steeply pitched roofs, and large ventilators, concealed within ornamental domed turrets, rise from each roof ridge. Sydney Mitchell (1856-1930) set up practice in 1882, gaining steady and prestigious employment as architect to the Commercial Bank of Scotland. In 1887, his assistant, George Wilson (1845-1912), joined him as partner. In the late 1880s as the initial wave of bank commissions started to dry up, Mitchell gained commissions for two of the greatest asylums constructed in Scotland in the late 19th century. Both commissions lasted for a number of years, providing a steady and probably not insubstantial income. The asylums were developed on the colony plan, with a variety of villas and hospitals for patients strategically placed around a central building in the grounds, and provided accommodation for every level of society, ranging from the richest to the poorest. The great social leveller, however, was the spacious grounds in which the patients were encouraged to wander for their recuperation. Sunnyside Royal Hospital, designed by the architect, William Lambie Moffatt (1808-82), was built in 1855-7 on a hillside site 6km north of Montrose to replace the old Royal Asylum in the town. The new site was further developed in 1888-91 when a hospital block, designed by the architects, Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, was built to the north-west of the main building, and a large villa, Carnegie Lodge, designed by the Aberdeen architect, William Kelly (c.1861-1944), was added to house private patients. Another two villas, Howden Villa and North Esk Villa, were built in the early 1900s to provide accommodation for pauper patients, and a nurses' home was constructed in 1935. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/776777

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions