Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NW showing platform awning

SC 776236

Description View from NW showing platform awning

Date 7/3/1971

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 776236

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Milngavie Railway Station, Fulton Road, Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire This shows the glazed awning over the main platform, from the north-west. This awning is supported on cast-iron columns and riveted girders. The original station building of 1863 is behind the column on the left. The branch was doubled in about 1900, and this awning was probably added at about that time. At the same time a two-sided platform, one face of which is seen here, was built to the west. The line was singled again in the 1970s, and the west-most platform line removed. This station was opened in 1863 by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway as the passenger terminus of a branch to Milngavie from the Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway, which the Edinburgh & Glasgow had absorbed in 1862. A goods-only line extended beyond this station, serving a paper mill. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/11/11

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/776236

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 776236) View from NW showing platform awning

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions