Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SW.

MO 591

Description View from SW.

Date c. 1890

Catalogue Number MO 591

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 798916

Scope and Content Cathedral, North College Street, Elgin, Moray, from south-west This view from the south-west, taken in about 1890, shows the gable of the south transept and the choir, with the surviving roofed and vaulted south (St Mary's) aisle. The transepts are the oldest part of the building, dating from the second quarter of the 13th century. The choir was rebuilt in the last quarter of the century. This is the most complete part of the building. The remains of the cathedral, though much reduced, show what an elaborate and sophisticated building it was, reflecting the prosperity of the province of Moray, then, as now, one of the richest agricultural areas in Scotland. Elgin Cathedral seems to have been built on an ancient Christian site. It was founded in 1224, and completed during the 13th century. It was burned in 1390 by the Wolf of Badenoch, and had to be extensively repaired. The chapter house, rebuilt in the 15th century, is considered to be the finest in Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/775803

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions