Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from ENE.

SC 769851

Description View from ENE.

Date c. 1880

Catalogue Number SC 769851

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RX 1323

Scope and Content Floors Castle, Scottish Borders, from east-north-east This shows the main block of the castle with its four-storeyed and basement towers in the background and the stable wing on the right. The single-storeyed and basement drawing room extension in the centre has pepperpot turrets, a crenellated parapet and hood-moulds above the windows. These are all features which William Playfair added to the two service wings of the castle as well as the main block, to unify the design of the castle. William Playfair planned the drawing room extension to contain a single large room for the family to entertain guests on the first floor, with a linen room, a schoolroom and the tutor's bedroom and sitting room in the basement. The tutor was given rooms in a separate wing of the house as he was considered an important member of the staff. The other servants who would have lived in the flanking service wings. Floors Castle was built in 1718 for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe and was probably designed by John Vanburgh (1664-1726) with alterations by William Adam (1689-1748). The 6th Duke of Roxburghe commissioned William Playfair (1790-1857) to alter and extend the castle between 1838 and 1849. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/769851

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions