Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. View of orangery. Digital image of ML 1813.

SC 769722

Description Interior. View of orangery. Digital image of ML 1813.

Date c. 1960

Catalogue Number SC 769722

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ML 1813/2

Scope and Content Orangery, Arniston House, Midlothian This shows the c.1753 orangery behind the west pavilion with its Venetian windows (central arched window flanked by smaller flat-topped windows). Two transverse arches, which separate one part of the interior from another, lead the eye up to the cornice and coombed (sloping) ceiling. The earliest types of hothouses were the 'orangeries' and 'stoves' of the 1700s, which were heated by open fires. Heated walls for growing fruit were also common, with trees protected by oiled paper or glass. By the mid-1800s it was possible to manufacture larger panes of glass which allowed the construction of huge conservatories supported by cast iron frames. Arniston House, the seat of the Dundas family, was built in the Palladian style from 1726 onwards by architect William Adam (1689-1748) on the site of a c.1600 U-plan tower-house. His son John (1721-92) added the west wing and orangery in 1753. The house was further altered during the 19th century, and comprises a central three-storeyed block with flanking two-storeyed service pavilions joined to the main building by two-storeyed links. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/769722

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions