Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from South-West. Digital image of ML 1434.

SC 769715

Description View from South-West. Digital image of ML 1434.

Date c. 1960

Catalogue Number SC 769715

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ML 1434

Scope and Content Arniston House, Midlothian, from south-west This shows the main block of the house with its central projection and double stairway added in c.1800, leading down to the garden. A variety of window shapes with emphasised margins add interest to façade, which is surmounted by a pediment with sculpted coat of arms. The canted link building, with its balustrade and urns, leading to the kitchen pavilion can also be seen (left). Servants at Arniston were accommodated in a separate wing to the east of the kitchens and in rooms in the basement. A pulley-operated railway transported food from the kitchen in the east pavilion to the dining room on the ground floor. The west pavilion originally contained stables, which were later converted into garages. Arniston House, the seat of the Dundas family, was built in the Palladian style from 1726 onwards by architect William Adam (1689-1748) on the site of a c.1600 U-plan tower-house. His son John (1721-92) added the west wing and orangery in 1753. The house was further altered during the 19th century, and comprises a central three-storeyed block with flanking two-storeyed service pavilions joined to the main building by two-storeyed links. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions