Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

View from south Digital image of E 15347 cn

SC 769166

Description View from south Digital image of E 15347 cn

Date 18/6/2001

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 769166

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of E 15347 CN

Scope and Content Queen Victoria's Obelisk, Balmoral Estate, Aberdeenshire This slender, four-sided, tapering granite pillar, set on a stepped granite base, stands overlooking the River Dee, close to a statue of Prince Albert erected by Queen Victoria after his death in 1861. The inscription reads: 'To the beloved memory of Her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria, Sovereign of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India. This obelisk was erected by the tenants and servants on the estates of Balmoral, Abergeldie and Birkhall.' Queen Victoria was born in 1819 and succeeded to the throne in 1837. In 1840 she married Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and their happy marriage produced nine children, most of whom married into the royal families of Europe. Albert was her principal trusted advisor in affairs of state, and after his death in 1861, she was devastated, and mourned him for the rest of her life. She was considered conscientious, hard-working and of strict moral standards, and had, by the end of her long life, won the affection and respect of her subjects, as well as the servants and tenants on her estates, to a unique degree. Her reign saw industrial expansion and economic progress, and by its close the British Empire and British world power were at their peak. Victoria died at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight in 1901 following a reign that lasted almost 64 years, the longest in British history, and was buried at Windsor beside Prince Albert. The Balmoral estate was bought in 1852 by Prince Albert and Queen Victoria at their own expense as a Highland retreat from the stresses of London life. Prince Albert initiated many improvements, including the building of a new Balmoral Castle in 1853-5 that became Queen Victoria's 'dear place'. The queen took great pleasure in the local landscape and, after her death in 1901, the servants and tenants of the estate erected an obelisk to her memory in the grounds. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/769166

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions