Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Taymouth Castle, Garden and Chinese Bridge. General aerial view. Digital image of B/71940/cn

SC 766035

Description Taymouth Castle, Garden and Chinese Bridge. General aerial view. Digital image of B/71940/cn

Date 1992

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 766035

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 71940 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Taymouth Castle, Perth & Kinross This shows the main block with the large corner towers in the centre, the rectangular east wing with the courtyard is above, and the square block of the west wing is below. The golf course clubhouse is part of the small complex of buildings to the far right and the D-shaped ground (left) enclosed by the River Tay has the remains of an army training camp from the Castle's time as a convalescent home. James Braid (1870-1950) who was born in Earlsferry, Fife, built Taymouth Castle golf course in 1923. He trained as a carpenter but followed a career in golf and won the British Open five times between 1901 and 1910. He retired from tournament play in 1912 and became a golf course architect designing and remodelling over 200 courses around Great Britain. Taymouth Castle was built for the Campbells of Breadalbane and stands on the site of Balloch Castle, which was built c.1550. Taymouth's main block, built between 1802 and 1810, was designed by James Elliot (1770-1810) and the east wing, built between 1818 and 1821, was designed by William Atkinson (c.1773-1839). The west pavilion, built in the early 18th century, was designed by William Adam (1689-1748) and was altered by James Gillespie Graham (1777-1855). The castle has important interior decoration by the Italian plasterer Francis Bernasconi and was visited by Queen Victoria in 1842. The Mactaggart family bought the estate in 1922 and converted the castle into a hotel and the deer park into a golf course. The castle was a convalescent home during World War II and has had several uses until c.1983 when it became unoccupied. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 177) RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Sub-Group Level (551 177/17) 1992 Photographs

>> Item Level (SC 766035) Taymouth Castle, Garden and Chinese Bridge. General aerial view. Digital image of B/71940/cn

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions