Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Taymouth Castle. East range, West end, view from South East. Digital image of D/23543/cn

SC 765991

Description Taymouth Castle. East range, West end, view from South East. Digital image of D/23543/cn

Date 8/9/1997

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 765991

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 23543 CN

Scope and Content West end of east range from south-east, Taymouth Castle, Perth & Kinross This shows the west end of the east range with the castellated corner tower of the main block on the left. The east block is mainly two-storeyed with a three-storeyed crenellated tower. The battlement around the roof, the bartizans (small turrets) and the arched windows are all castellated features. This part of the east wing probably contained service rooms and servant accommodation. These rooms were converted to bedrooms by the mid-to late 20th century when the castle was in use as a hotel. The servants that worked in the castle would not have been particularly highly paid but they benefited from free accommodation and food. There may also have been perks for some of the senior servants such as the cook's right to leftover bones which could then be sold. The downside of working in the castle was long hours and hard work. Taymouth Castle was built for the Campbells of Breadalbane and stands on the site of Balloch Castle, which was built c.1550. Taymouth's main block, built between 1802 and 1810, was designed by James Elliot (1770-1810) and the east wing, built between 1818 and 1821, was designed by William Atkinson (c.1773-1839). The west pavilion, built in the early 18th century, was designed by William Adam (1689-1748) and was altered by James Gillespie Graham (1777-1855). The castle has important interior decoration by the Italian plasterer Francis Bernasconi and was visited by Queen Victoria in 1842. The Mactaggart family bought the estate in 1922 and converted the castle into a hotel and the deer park into a golf course. The castle was a convalescent home during World War II and has had several uses until c.1983 when it became unoccupied. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/765991

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 1) RCAHMS

Group Level (551 1/4) National Survey Programmes

>> Sub-Group Level (551 1/4/24) Listed Buildings Recording Programme

>>> Sub-Group Level (551 1/4/24/33) Taymouth Castle

>>>> Item Level (SC 765991) Taymouth Castle. East range, West end, view from South East. Digital image of D/23543/cn

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions