Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View through Bear Gates. Traquair House.

SC 760051

Description View through Bear Gates. Traquair House.

Date 1963

Catalogue Number SC 760051

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of PB 529

Scope and Content 'Bear gates' from south-west, Traquair House, Scottish Borders This shows the (closed) 'Bear gates', which were built in 1737-8. They mark the main entrance to the estate. Two stone piers are surmounted by a pair of bears holding cartouches bearing the crest of the Earls of Traquair. The gates are made of wrought iron, and have ornate scrolling details. Visitors now use a 'temporary drive' to the left. Two legends surround these gates. One states that the gates were closed behind Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745, and were not to be opened until a Stuart king is on the throne. Another tells that they were closed after the death of the last Countess of Traquair in 1796, and will not open again except to admit a new countess. Traquair is the oldest continually inhabited house in Scotland, with its origins in the 10th century. It was the site of a royal hunting lodge in the 1200s, but the house as seen today is based around a c.1512 tower-house with many later additions. The flanking service wings were built in 1695 to designs by architect James Smith (c.1645-1731), who also designed the wrought-iron screens round the courtyard in 1698. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions