Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Basement, former kitchen, range, detail Digital image of D/30801

SC 757483

Description Basement, former kitchen, range, detail Digital image of D/30801

Date 12/5/1998

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 757483

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 30801

Scope and Content Range in former kitchen in basement, Cluny Castle, Highland This shows the large cast-iron range by Fraser Walker & Company. The fire was lit in the grate in the centre of the range which provided heat for the ovens at either side and the metal plates on top. The range would also have had a back boiler for hot water. The main features of a kitchen range were an open fire, oven and hot water boiler. Joseph Langmead devised a range with these features in 1783 by developing the 1780 patent of Thomas Robinson (a London ironmonger) involving a combined kitchen grate and iron oven. Cluny Castle was built in 1805 for the Macphersons of Cluny and stands on the site of an earlier castle which was destroyed by fire in 1746. William Laidlaw Carruthers, Inverness, designed the north-west wing and the Queen Anne Revival-style porch c.1890. Many of the estate buildings were also built when the castle was rebuilt, including gate lodges, stables, meal mill, saw mill and walled gardens. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/757483

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions