Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view. Digital image of B 26843 PO.

SC 749652

Description General view. Digital image of B 26843 PO.

Date 24/5/1983

Catalogue Number SC 749652

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 26843 PO

Scope and Content Mill of Noth, Rhynie, Aberdeenshire Mill of Noth was built c.1800, with major additions in 1835, marked by an inscribed datestone above the waterwheel. This irregularly planned oatmeal mill contained one pair of millstones driven by a mid-breastshot waterwheel (water hits the wheel halfway up one side). The mill closed in 1940 partly due to an infestation of rats from a nearby refuse dump. This shows the mill from the road. On the right is the threshing mill, which contained a threshing machine driven by the waterwheel. This removed the chaff (husks) from the grain (seeds). The next area was used for grinding, and the taller structure with the revolving rooftop ventilator was used as a drying kiln for grain before milling, with an adjacent storage area. Water to power the Mill of Noth came from a natural spring known as the Burn of Easaiche located beneath the waterwheel. This water supply was used by the miller and his family for drinking and washing until the mains supply was connected. Water was gathered from the lade and tailrace in the morning before sediment had been disturbed for washing, cooking and cleaning. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/749652

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions