Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior View of New Main Entrance Digital image of E/4767

SC 749513

Description Interior View of New Main Entrance Digital image of E/4767

Date c. 1902

Catalogue Number SC 749513

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of E 4767

Scope and Content New main entrance, Craig Dunain Hospital (Northern Counties District Lunatic Asylum), Leachkin Road, Inverness, Highland Inverness District Asylum, opened in 1864, was the third District Asylum for the care of the mentally ill to be built in Scotland following the 1857 Lunacy (Scotland) Act. In 1947 the hospital changed its name to Craig Dunain, known locally as 'the Craig' until its closure in 2000. This shows the main entrance to the hospital. It is a typical example of 19th-century asylum design, built and furnished to resemble a grand Victorian country house. It was thought that elegant, spacious surroundings would provide the type of secure environment necessary in the treatment of mental illness. In 1860 the District Lunacy Board for Highland Region held a limited competition between three architects for the design of a new asylum to be built on a magnificent site above Inverness. The competition was won by James Matthews, an architect from Aberdeen who opened an office in Inverness. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/749513

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions