Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SW.

RE 677

Description View from SW.

Date c. 1900

Collection National Art Survey of Scotland

Catalogue Number RE 677

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 800106

Scope and Content Newark Castle, Inverclyde, from south-west This view from the south-west, taken in about 1900, shows the late 15th-century gatehouse on the left, with the roofline of a courtyard building visible on its gable. The rest of the buildings seen here are the 1597-9 extension, with ground-floor kitchen and cellars, hall above and bedrooms on the top floor. The 1597-9 range has a symmetrical north front. The first-floor hall is reached from the courtyard by a 'scale and platt' staircase, one of the earliest examples of this type of (straight flight and landing) staircase in Scotland. Newark Castle was originally a tower-house built soon after 1478 by George Maxwell, son of John Maxwell of Calderwood in Lanarkshire. It was greatly extended in 1597-9 by Patrick Maxwell. One of his descendants sold the site of Port Glasgow to the Town Council of Glasgow in 1668. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/744317

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 162) National Art Survey of Scotland

> Item Level (RE 677) View from SW.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (National Art Survey of Scotland Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions