Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Bradley & Craven brick waggon c1932 Digital image of B 9355

SC 740355

Description View of Bradley & Craven brick waggon c1932 Digital image of B 9355

Date 9/7/1980

Collection Scottish Industrial Archaeology Survey

Catalogue Number SC 740355

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 9355

Scope and Content Bradley & Craven brick wagon, Carsehead Brick Works, Beith Road, Dalry, North Ayrshire Ayrshire Brick & Fireclay Company established Carsehead Brick Works in 1907 and operated the business until at least 1928. The works had several owners from then with the Scottish Brick Corporation becoming the last owner in 1969. The works closed in 1977 and were mainly demolished c.1981. This shows a Bradley & Craven brick wagon which had a steel body which was supported with laminated springs and roller bearing wheels. The springs enabled the wagon to be loaded with more bricks and the roller bearings improved the movement of the wagon along tracks. Bricks made from fireclay are able to withstand high temperatures without melting or softening. Fireclay bricks can be used in both industrial and domestic buildings and are therefore often found in steelwork furnaces and household fireplaces. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Neg no. 42/80/1

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/740355

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions