Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of vestry and chapter house from East.

AY 529

Description View of vestry and chapter house from East.

Date 28/9/1941

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AY 529

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 798473

Scope and Content Crossraguel Abbey, South Ayrshire, from east-north-east This view from the east-north-east was taken in the mid-20th century, and shows the east-north-east wall of the chapter house (two left bays), and the sacristy (right bay), built in the 15th century. The upper floor was part of the dormitory, which extended along the whole of the east range of the cloisters. The last monks of Crossraguel Abbey were still living there in 1592, and must have been among the last pre-Reformation monks in Scotland. Ralegh Radford identified some small cells as 'sheltered housing' for old men not in orders who lived in the community as paying guests, known as corrodiars. Crossraguel Abbey was founded in 1244 by monks from the Cluniac Abbey of Paisley, after Paisley had tried to hold on to land given by Earl Duncan of Carrick in about 1200. It was never a large or particularly prosperous abbey, but the remains are unusually complete. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Emergency Survey

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/739737

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions