Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SSE showing SSE front of E end

SC 733225

Description View from SSE showing SSE front of E end

Date 30/5/1970

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 733225

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Canal Tunnel, Union Canal, Falkirk This tunnel was constructed for the Edinburgh and Glasgow Union Canal between 1818 and 1822, to designs by Hugh Baird, engineer. It was dug on the insistence of William Forbes of Callendar, who did not want the canal to be visible from his mansion, Callendar House. This shows the east end of the tunnel, with its rather grand portal of sandstone ashlar. The tunnel itself, which has a towpath, is largely unlined. The canal had closed in 1965, and vegetation is beginning to take over. Though formally closed in 1965, the canal had in effect been disused for many years. The revival of the western section began in 1988, when the Seagull Trust placed its boat 'Mackay Seagull' on the canal. The canal was reopened throughout in 2002 as part of the Millennium Link. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/70/20/38

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/733225

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 733225) View from SSE showing SSE front of E end

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions