Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of 1913 cottage from South See MS/744/117 and DC33078, item 24. Digital image of C 48437.

SC 730557

Description View of 1913 cottage from South See MS/744/117 and DC33078, item 24. Digital image of C 48437.

Date 27/4/1995 to 18/8/1995

Catalogue Number SC 730557

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 48437

Scope and Content 1913 cottage, Crackaig Farm, Highland, from south Crackaig Farm, on the east coast of Sutherland, is on the estates of the Dukes of Sutherland. The area was the first to be 'improved' by the Dukes in the late 18th century when a growing commercialisation and application of science revolutionised Scottish agriculture and created farms of this type. This shows a substantial stone cottage with a slate roof. Slate was a popular roofing material, particularly in the north of Scotland. It could often be obtained from local quarries and its versatility enabled joiners to incorporate different shapes, including dormer windows, in the roof, as shown here. The programme of improvement undertaken by the Sutherland estates began in the 1790s and this first phase was pursued with both coastal arable land and sheep farms on the higher ground until the mid-18th century. During the second phase, between 1870 and 1882, new areas of land were reclaimed by drainage. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/730557

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions