Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of the expansion joint in the Forth Bridge rails. Digital image of B 3153

SC 728335

Description Detail of the expansion joint in the Forth Bridge rails. Digital image of B 3153

Date 29/8/1988

Catalogue Number SC 728335

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 3153

Scope and Content Expansion joint in special 'Forth Bridge Rails', Forth Bridge, Edinburgh and Fife The Forth Bridge was built between 1883 and 1890 to designs by engineers Sir John Fowler (1817-98) and Sir Benjamin Baker (1840-1907) with Sir William Arrol (1839-1913) and Joseph Phillips as contractors. This massive steel railway viaduct features three double cantilevers connected by girders with a total span of 2.5 km. This shows an diagonally-cut expansion joint between two of the special 'Forth Bridge Rails'. These run lengthwise on wooden beams, rather than on sleepers and ballast (gravel) like conventional rails, keeping weight of track to a minimum. The rails are set within a metal trough to ensure trains do not move from the central area if they become derailed. The Forth Bridge expands and contracts due to climate changes, sometimes varying up to 0.6m in length between summer and winter. To cope with these variations expansion joints (rails cut at an angle so they can slide backwards and forwards) in the rails move with the bridge to ensure the safety of trains. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/728335

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions