Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior - view of library

SC 701587

Description Interior - view of library

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 701587

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20413/10

Scope and Content Library, No 1 Park Gardens, Glasgow No 1 Park Gardens, one of six houses in a short Italianate terrace designed c.1855 by the architect, Charles Wilson, on the slopes of Woodlands Hill, was redecorated c.1900 as a townhouse for Lord Inverclyde. The photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere, was commissioned to photograph the interior in 1909. Lord Inverclyde's library is lined with 17th-century style wainscot panelling with a heavy cornice, a shelf at chair height, and a dado with built-in glass-fronted bookcases. The decoration is rather sombre with heavy furniture, leather-covered chairs and a display of glass cases containing stuffed birds. Sir James Cleland Burns, 4th Baronet Inverclyde, was the principal director of the shipping firm, G & J Burns, founded by his grandfather, and a director of the Cunard Steamship Company. His country seat was Castle Wemyss, Wemyss Bay, and his recreations included shooting, yachting, curling and hockey. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701587

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions