Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of North-East bathroom from West. Digital image of B 57270.

SC 701375

Description General view of North-East bathroom from West. Digital image of B 57270.

Date 8/1990

Catalogue Number SC 701375

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 57270

Scope and Content View from west of north-east bathroom, Brantwoode, No 4 Munro Drive West, Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute Brantwoode, an L-plan, asymmetrical villa was built in 1895 to designs by architect William Leiper (1839-1916). The two-storeyed house is built from red sandstone with red tile-hangings, mock half-timbering and leaded windows. The interior layout includes an inter-connecting library, living hall and dining room. This shows the bathroom with its huge cast iron bath with 'plunger' built-in plug. The lower walls are faced with narrow ceramic tiles up to the level of the picture rail, which is used to suspend a oval mirror above the sink. The upper walls are hand painted with a design of ducks swimming amongst reeds. By the late 19th century most new upper-and middle-class homes were fitted with bathrooms and had running water supplies. People in smaller homes and flats still used portable tin baths in front of the fire, or visited the public baths provided in most towns. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701375

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions