Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of entrance front

SC 701134

Description General view of entrance front

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 701134

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20552

Scope and Content Anchor Line Building, Nos 12-16 St Vincent Place, Glasgow The Anchor Line Building, designed by the Glasgow architect, James Miller, was built in 1905-7 for the Anchor Line Shipping Company. The architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere, was commissioned to photograph the exterior in 1909. The entrance front, clad in white glazed terracotta tiles known as Doulton Carrara ware, has its main entrance through a central recessed portico, framed by Ionic columns. The solid balcony at second-floor level separates the lettable accommodation above from the company's offices on the lower floors. Miller designed the building with a steel frame, encased in brick, and with concrete floor slabs cast in situ on to the joists, a system he copied from the Chicago multi-storeyed blocks built at the end of the 19th century. The entrance front, however, conveys nothing of this innovation in construction technique. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701134

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions